A new geothermal well in the pipes in Seine-Saint-Denis

Paris Terre d'Envol a signé avec le groupe Coriance, un contrat de concession pour la création et l'exploitation d'un réseau de chaleur géothermique.

Posted Sep 30, 2022, 5:13 PM

The inhabitants of Dugny and Le Bourget (Seine-Saint-Denis) will soon be able to have access to cheaper and more ecological heating. This Friday, September 23, Bruno Beschizza, mayor (LR) of Aulnay-sous-Bois and president of the Paris Terre d’Envol intercommunity signed with Yves Lederer, president of the Coriance group, a concession contract for the creation and l operation of a geothermal heating network in these two towns.

The heat sink must be dug by 2025, before progressive connection of housing and other customers in the sector. But above all, Coriance will have to connect its existing network, and in particular its geothermal well already operated at Blanc Mesnil, to the Dugny Media Village, in order to provide heating for the 2024 Olympic Games. This connection will eventually allow Coriance to use the two networks as communicating vessels, depending on changes in demand.

56 million euros of works

Concretely, the Coriance group will invest all the funds necessary for the work, then sell its energy directly to customers. The Paris Terre d’Envol intercommunality, public service delegate, will “only” control the quality of the service and the stability of the prices charged. “Between the creation of the well and the creation of the network, this will require a little more than 56 million euros of investment on our part, which explains the 30-year duration of the contract after drilling”, justifies Yves Lederer.

Ultimately, this new well will produce 77 GWh of energy per year, or 90% of the needs of the 9,000 housing equivalents supplied by the future network, including Le Bourget airport. The remaining 10% will be gas powered. “This particularly attractive rate is one of the strengths that Coriance put forward when applying for this market, compared to its two competitors. But it also proposed an intervention schedule that made it possible to connect most of the installations in the cities of Le Bourget and Dugny before 2024 at a better final price for users”, explains Bruno Beschizza.

A moderate price made possible by the low mileage of the network and the urban density of the area: only 20 kilometers of pipes must be drawn before being able to supply the two cities, including the connection to the geothermal network of Blanc-Mesnil.

A group very present in the department

This new network in Seine-Saint-Denis allows Coriance to intensify its presence in the department, whose geology is very favorable to geothermal energy. For Paris Terre d’Envol, the challenge of deploying geothermal energy is a priority “this network in particular allows the inhabitants of the towns of Dugny and Le Bourget to leave a lasting energy legacy after the Games, with not only the media village but eventually all of the two cities. Our territorial climate-air-energy plan voted in 2019 also provides for other densifications and extensions on our three other existing networks”, assures Bruno Beschizza. The elected official evokes in particular the site of Val Francila in Aulnay-sous-Bois where a second exploitation of geothermal energy should see the light of day.

The Coriance group very present in Seine-Saint-Denis

A subsidiary specializing in district heating created by Gaz De France in 1998, Coriance became independent in 2008, as part of the merger between GDF and Suez. The group currently operates 40 heating networks in France, and is historically very established in the capital region with 15 networks supplied in particular by 31 geothermal wells, including 11 in Meaux (Seine-et-Marne). Three of its heating networks are already located in Seine-Saint-Denis, in Aulnay-sous-Bois (Gas, and geothermal energy in progress), in Bondy (Biomass) and in Blanc-Mesnil (Geothermal), i.e. 23 kilometers of network existing in the department. Based in the department, in Noisy-le-Grand, Coriance achieved 335 million euros in turnover in 2021.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here