Apple said it will challenge a Brazilian court order that stopped the sale of iPhone models without battery chargers in the country. Brazil’s Ministry of Justice and Public Security has earlier fined Apple BRL 12.275 million (roughly Rs. 18 crore), claiming that the company was providing consumers with an incomplete product. The order bans the sale of all iPhone 12 and 13 models in the country. The Cupertino giant stopped bundling chargers with its mobile phones with the release of the iPhone 12 in 2020, citing environmental concerns.
According to a Report According to Reuters, Apple will appeal Brazil’s move to ban the sale of iPhone units without battery chargers. The company said it would continue to work with Brazilian consumer protection agency Senacon to “resolve their concerns”.
The report quotes Apple as saying that “we have won several court decisions in Brazil on this matter and we are confident that our customers are aware of the different options for charging and connecting their devices”.
Earlier on Tuesday, the Brazilian government Suspended Sales of iPhone 12 and newer models that do not ship with an included charger. It fined Apple 12.275 million BRL and accused the company of “deliberately discriminatory practices against consumers”.
Apple discontinued the practice of bundling chargers with the launch of the iPhone 12 in 2020 as a measure to reduce carbon emissions. Officials rejected Apple’s argument, saying there was no evidence that selling smartphones without chargers would protect the environment.
The ban in Brazil comes ahead of Apple’s Far Out event today, where the new iPhone 14 series is expected to be announced, including the iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Max, iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max models.